In the spirit of furthering our racial justice analysis and working towards collective liberation, below are a few books Center for Racial Justice in Education recommends:
- Alexander, Michelle. The New Jim Crow. New York: The New Press, 2012.
- Bolgatz, J. Talking Race in the Classroom. New York: Teachers College Press, 2005.
- Derman-Sparks, Louise, and Patricia Ramsay. What If All the Kids Are White? Anti-Bias Multicultural Education with Young Children and Families. New York: Teachers College Press, 2006.
- Genishi, Celia, and A. Lin Goodwin. Diversities in Early Childhood Education: Rethinking and Doing. New York: Teacher College Press, 2008.
- Irving, Debbie. Waking Up White in the Story of my Race. Chicago: Elephant Room Press, 2014.
- Lee, Enid, Deborah Menkart and Margo Okazawa-Rey, eds. Beyond Heroes and Holidays: A Practical Guide to K-12 Anti-Racist, Multicultural Education, and Staff Development. Washington, DC: Network of Educators on the Americas [NECA], 1998.
- Loewen, James W. Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong.The New Press, 2013.
- Michael, Ali. Raising Race Questions: Whiteness and Inquiry in Education. New York: Teachers College Press, 2015.
- Pollock, M. Colormute: Race Talk Dilemmas in an American School. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. 2004.
- Pollock, M. (Ed.) Everyday Antiracism: Getting Real About Race in School. New. York: The New Press. 2008.
- Steele, Claude M. Whistling Vivaldi: How Stereotypes Affect Us and What We Can Do. New York: W. W Norton & Company, 2010.
- Stevenson, Howard C. Promoting Racial Literacy in Schools: Differences That Make a Difference. New York: Teachers College Press, 2015.
- Tatum, B. D. “Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?” and Other Conversations About Race. New York: Harper/Collins. 1997.
- Tatum, B.D. “Can We Talk About Race?” and Other Conversations in an Era of School Resegregation. New York: Beacon Press, 2007.
- Van Ausdale, D. & Feagin, J.R. The First R: How Children Learn Race and Racism.Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. 2001.
Please send suggestions for additional resources to [email protected]