Center for Racial Justice in Education’s mission is to train and empower educators to dismantle patterns of racism and injustice in our schools and communities. At Center for Racial Justice in Education (CRJE), we envision a world where all young people learn and thrive in racially equitable, liberating, and empowering educational spaces.
Based in NYC, Center for Racial Justice in Education is seeking a skilled Communications Intern who will support the general communications functions of our organization. This includes marketing trainings, designing electronic outreach materials, website maintenance, and contributing to our social media platform as needed. We seek an intern who brings graphic design, marketing, website skills, as well as a commitment to racial and social justice.
The Communications Intern will be part of a cohort of CRJE interns and will report to the Operations Manager. This will be a paid internship of up to 10 hours per week, from position start through the end of 2019, with the possibility of extension.
- Design: Design CRJE electronic outreach materials, including MailChimp e-blasts and related social media posts
- Outreach: Publicize CJRE trainings through e-blasts, social media platforms, and coordinating with other community organizations /partners
- Website: Update CRJE’s website content as needed
- Social Media: Support with the execution of CRJE’s digital/social media strategy and organizational messaging; develop social media content as needed. Attend CRJE trainings and events, and document for social media as needed. Keep up to date on social/digital media content and trends
- Other: Work on special projects as needed and assigned by staff
- Enthusiasm for the mission of the Center for Racial Justice in Education
- Ability to demonstrate a systemic racial justice analysis
- Current enrollment or degree in an undergraduate, graduate or professional certification program in a related field (i.e. Marketing/Communications, Public Relations, Graphic Design)
- Experience/ proficiency with communications programs such as MailChimp; Adobe Creative Suite and WordPress
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; strong editing skills
- Strong knowledge and experience with social networking and social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Basic graphic design skills preferred
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, multitask and meet deadlines
- Participation in a Center for Racial Justice in Education training, prior to or within the first month of internship
Compensation: The communications intern will be compensated at $15 per hour, for up to 10 hours per week, from September – December 31, 2019, with the possibility of extension, budget depending.
To Apply: Please send a resume, cover letter, and sample(s) of a communications project (social media posts, newsletters, etc.) to [email protected]. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis with an ideal start date of September 30, 2019. Only selected candidates will be notified of the next steps in the process.